Sunday, September 12, 2010

Post Script: Mr. Jimmy

In 1976,  I was working in the Silicon Valley of California. One day I was having lunch with a girl from work. During our small talk she asked if I had ever heard of a singer named Jimmy Buffett. I said as a matter of fact I had and proceeded to relate my story about Mr. Buffett. I then asked her why she liked Jimmy? She said that everyone around here listened to and loved Jim Croce's music. She said that when Jim Croce died, there was a void that Jimmy Buffett filled.

At the time I was not familiar with who Jim Croce was, but I began listening to his music and really enjoyed it. There was one particular song that caught my attention. It was called,"You don't mess around with Jim." It talks about a country boy "outta South Alabama" looking for a man named Jim. After listening to it, I  thought how prophetic the lyrics were and how Jimmy would be the one to take his place. Life is strange and filled with all sorts of twists and turns.

No comments: